Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What have I gotten myself into??


Ever since our cat Tux passed away, I've been thinking about becoming a foster mama to a pregnant cat. That way, my two daughters would have the chance of seeing newborn kittens without the guilt and hassle of having a cat of our own get pregnant. Well, after much thought, I headed off to the Humane Society to finally get the process rolling. The cat foster coordinator, Ashley, was lovely. After completing some paperwork, she innocently asked, "So, are you up for taking a pregnant kitty home today?"

WHATT???!!!

Of course, the moment I laid eyes on Delilia, I was sunk. She is a beautiful white and orange medium hair cat with a HUGE belly. She's loving and friendly, snuggling up to my hand immediately. So, after about 20 minutes of getting stuff together, I popped her cat carrier into the car and off home I went. Delilia was not thrilled about the ride, expressing her concern with several different vocalizations. I was beginning to wonder if she was going to have the kittens right then and there - in the car while I was driving! But no, we got home without any kittens arriving. She is now ensconced in our family room with food, water, a litter tray, and numerous places to hide out until she feels more comfortable with her new home.

Of course, there is no telling how our current cats are going to react to the new smell and sound of another cat...

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment