Saturday, August 29, 2009

Dolce's medical update

After discovering the sneezing mama cat, I got some meds from the Humane Society. Dolce doesn't like to take them, but they do seem to be helping her with her congestion. However, I had noticed that she wasn't eating or drinking much (Delilia would go through a large bowl of water in a couple of days), nor was she using the litter box. When I tried pinching the skin between her shoulder blades, it looked to me like she was getting dehydrated. Big sigh. Back to the Humane society to pick up subcutaneous fluid treatment and appetite stimulant. Ashley suggested that I give her the fluids twice a day and check the kittens regularly for weight gain and signs of dehydration.

Getting Dolce to take the fluids was...challenging. She *hated* it. Luckily, my husband helped me hold her while giving her the treatment. And giving her the appetite stimulant pill was humorous. For anyone who hasn't read the very humorous "How to give a cat a pill in twenty easy steps" go here and read it (http://www.nanceestar.com/CatPill.html). Dolce was almost that bad. She has a nack of spitting it out of the side of her mouth. Luckily we don't have to give her another one until Monday.

The good news is that the kittens are all still gaining weight. Theodore is still the smallest at 4.7 oz, but the other three are now over 5 oz. each. And Shayla and Theodore are showing signs of looking like Siamese cats - their ears and tails are starting to darken a little. I will get more pics up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment